Connect with us

Football

Real Madrid’s Modric faces perjury inquiry

Published

on

Croatian authorities have launched an investigation into the captain of the national football team, Luka Modric.

The midfielder, who also plays for Real Madrid, is suspected of making false statements at the tax fraud trial of Zdravko Mamic, his former manager.

He could not immediately be reached for comment, Reuters news agency reports.

Mr Mamic, a powerful figure in Croatian football, was Mr Modric’s boss at leading club Dinamo Zagreb.

Mr Mamic, his brother Zoran Mamic, and two others are accused of corruption that reportedly cost Dinamo Zagreb more than 15m euros (£13.1m; $16.7m), and the state 1.5m euros.

Cash is said to have been embezzled via phoney deals where they took a cut from the sales of players.

If found guilty of perjury, Mr Modric could face between six months and five years in prison.

Mr Modric was asked to testify about his multi-million pound transfer from Dinamo to the English club Tottenham Hotspur in 2008.

The perjury allegation hinges on exactly when he signed an annex to his contract with Dinamo, setting out the terms for future transfer fees.

According to prosecutors, at a tribunal on 13 June, Mr Modric falsely said he had signed it in July 2004.

Prosecutors say the annex – which allowed Mr Modric to receive half the transfer fee – was actually signed in 2008 when he had already left the club.

Prosecutors also say Mr Modric told investigators in 2015 that the annex had been signed when he had already been sold to Tottenham.

The state attorney’s office believes the player changed his testimony in his former manager’s favour.

The 31-year-old looked visibly uncomfortable while giving evidence to the trial, which has attracted huge media interest in Croatia.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football

Schalke 2-3 Man City: Sane, Sterling score late goals

Published

on

By

Late goals from Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling gave Manchester City a 3-2 win at Schalke in their Champions League Round of 16 first leg.

Substitute Sane scored against his former club with a sensational free kick in the 86th after Nabil Bentaleb converted two spot kicks in the 38th and 45th minutes to put Schalke ahead.

Sergio Aguero had given City the lead in the 18th and the English champions were left with 10 men in the 68th minute when Nicolas Otamendi was sent off following a second booking.

City, who have conceded at least two goals in six of their seven games in the Champions League knockout stages under Pep Guardiola, will also be without yellow-carded Fernandinho for the return leg in Manchester on March 12.

SCHALKE 2-3 MANCHESTER CITY | AGUERO (18), BENTALEB (36, 44), SANE (84), STERLING (90)

Schalke XI: Fahrmann, Caliguiri, Bruma, Sane, Nastasic, Oczikpa, Serdar, Bentaleb, McKennie, Uth, Mendyl
Manchester City XI: Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Silva, Bernardo, Sterling, Aguero

Continue Reading

Chelsea

Chelsea told to appoint former EPL manager as Sarri’s replacement

Published

on

By

Former Arsenal goalkeeper, David Seaman, has told Chelsea to appoint former Gunners boss, Arsene Wenger as Maurizio Sarri’s replacement at Stamford Bridge.

Seaman believes Wenger would be a great choice to replace Sarri at the West London club.

He stated this ahead of Chelsea’s UEFA Europa League round of 32 second-leg tie with Malmo on Thursday night.

Sarri, who joined Chelsea last summer, has been under intense pressure at Stamford Bridge due to the club’s recent poor performances.

“Arsene Wenger would be great at Chelsea, I think. He’d be great anywhere, he’s a fantastic manager,” Seaman said on talkSPORT.

“Arsene always said he wouldn’t come back to the Premier League because of his love for Arsenal that he wouldn’t feel right competing against Arsenal.

“But obviously time’s a healer and he could think. I want to go back there and prove a few people wrong.”

Continue Reading

Football

Eagles assistant coach, Chukwuma Agbo is dead

Published

on

By

The Assistant Coach, Beach Soccer national team for the Super Sand Eagles, Chukwuma Agbo has been reported dead.

His death came barely 10 days after the demise of Taiwo Ogunjobi, who passed on, on Monday, Feb. 11.

Agbo, former Rangers International and Delta Force Head Coach’s death was confirmed on Wednesday by the Nigeria Football

Federation (NFF).

In a tweet via its official Twitter handle (@thenff), the NFF said Agbo’s death was sad:

“Yet another painful loss! We are sad to hear of the passing of Assistant Coach of our Beach Soccer National team, the Super Sand Eagles, Chukwuma Agbo.

‘‘Our prayers are with his family at this time. May his soul rest in peace,” the NFF said.

The News Agency of Nigeria gathered that Agbo died on Wednesday after a brief illness.

The late Agbo, who resigned as the head coach of Delta Force in January, led the club to the Nigeria National League, NNL Super 8, where they ended fourth in Group B.

Continue Reading

VOTE

PREMIER LEAGUE

Advertisement

Like Us on Facebook

News

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com