Connect with us

Football

PSG boss, Unai Emery announces departure: Arsene Wenger,Thomas Tuchel compete for job

Published

on

Unai Emery has announced he will be leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season.
Emery, 46, has been on borrowed time at Parc des Princes after PSG were knocked out of the Champions League in the last-16 stage.

He informed his players of his decision this morning and announced the news at a press conference.

“I have told the players, [sporting director] Antero [Henrique] and the president [Nasser Al-Khelaifi] that it is finished,” Emery said.

“I thank everybody.

“All that remains is the Coupe de France final.”

PSG boss Unai Emery announces departure: Could Arsene Wenger take job?

Arsene Wenger has been linked with the post since announcing he will be leaving Arsenal after 22 years in charge of the north London club.French publication Le 10 Sport claim Wenger has held talks with PSG chiefs.

He has reportedly been offered a four-year contract to become their new boss.

But it is former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel that is the frontrunner.

PSG boss Unai Emery announces departure: Could Arsene Wenger take job?

German news outlet Bild reported earlier this month that Tuchel has penned a two-year deal to succeed Emery.PSG appointed Emery as manager in 2016 but he suffered a difficult debut campaign as they were pipped to the Ligue 1 title by Monaco and blew a 6-1 aggregate lead against Barcelona in the Champions League knockout stages.

The Spaniard did lift the Coupe de France and Coupe de la Liga but the pressure was on to win major silverware this term.

PSG – aided by the world-record signing of Neymar – romped to Ligue 1 glory but the failure to make headway in the Champions League has proved to be Emery’s undoing.

Emery could get his hands on one final trophy next month when PSG take on third-tier minnows Les Herbiers in the Coupe de France final.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football

Manchester United players told to ignore Mourinho’s instructions

Published

on

By

Former Arsenal defender, Martin Keown, has told Manchester United players to ignore instructions from manager Jose Mourinho and take matters into their own hands.

The Red Devils travel to Anfield on Sunday to take on title-chasing Liverpool, 16 points behind their bitter rivals.

A much-changed United side slipped to another demoralising defeat against Valencia in midweek and Keown believes Mourinho’s men are turning in the worst performances he has seen in 25 years.

“These performances are some of the worst we’ve seen from United in 25 years,” Keown told Football Focus.

“They are there for the taking – these United players almost need to stop listening to their manager now.

“If this is how they’re being told to play, the players are on their own – I don’t know the identity of this United team.

“They’re almost dreading games. Whether they change the manager is another thing but every game feels like a crisis now.

“Mourinho has an incredible job there but the ‘special one’ has become the ‘lonely one’.

“He’s almost enjoying the process of it coming to an end.”

Continue Reading

Barcelona

Barcelona issue fresh ban to Dembele

Published

on

By

Barcelona have banned Ousmane Dembele from turning off his phone, after he once again failed to arrive on time for training, uniquesports.com.ng reports.

Earlier this week, Dembele begged his team-mates for forgiveness in a private dressing-room speech, after being fined £90,000 for turning up two hours late to training, reports Daily Mail.

Manager Ernesto Valverde has now instructed the French winger, to keep his phone on all the time, so that he can be contactable if another issue arises.

Valverde is said to be content with the player’s improvement off the pitch and believes he has taken positive steps towards changing his attitude.

It is believed Dembele enjoys playing video games and watching TV until the early hours of the morning, which is the main issue.

Continue Reading

Football

Man City VS Everton: Jesus scores twice as Manchester City go back to top

Published

on

By

Manchester City have returned to the top of the Premier League for another 24 hours at least, following a 3-1 win over Everton in Saturday’s early kick-off.

Pep Guardiola’s men saw their unbeaten start to the season end at Chelsea last week and Liverpool overtook them on the table.

However, the champions preserved their 100 per cent record at home against Marco Silva’s men.

Gabriel Jesus scored either sides of half time to give City a 2-0 lead, before Dominic Calvert-Lewin pulled one back.

However, Raheem Sterling climbed off the bench, to head in a third and make sure the home side got maximum points.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Like Us on Facebook

News