Connect with us

Boxing

‘I had a head cold’ – Anthony Joshua reveals illness

Published

on

Nigerian-born British boxer, Anthony Joshua, said he had felt like a gust of wind would knock him down ahead of his successful world heavyweight title defence last Saturday, uniquesports.com.ng reports.

The Nigerian-born fighter said he was sick with a bout of flu, The Independent UK, reports.

Joshua could face Deontay Wilder or Dillian Whyte in his next fight and there is also the prospect of a bout with Tyson Fury.

He clinically stopped Alexander Povetkin to retain his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles last Saturday.

But a debilitating head cold meant the 28-year-old fighter was worried he would not be in condition to perform at Wembley.

“I’ve been ill this last week,” he said.

“And you know when you start thinking to yourself ‘these signs are bad’, but I pulled through.

“It hit me last week Friday. I had it over the weekend and I thought by Wednesday it would be gone. But I only started feeling better on Friday.

“It was still there in my head, I had a head cold. I felt like a heavy gust of wind could knock me over. On my way to the stadium, I was thinking I can have one more sleep.

“But I felt this way in training camp and still sparred 15 good rounds, so I’ve got one geezer in the ring who will fade sooner or later, so let’s just get on with it.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Boxing

Floyd Mayweather maintains unbeaten record

Published

on

By

Boxing champion, Floyd Mayweather on Monday trounced Japanese kick-boxing star Tenshin Nasukawa by a technical knockout in the first round of a New Year’s Eve “exhibition” bout that brought the US boxing superstar out of retirement.

Mayweather floored Nasukawa, who is less than half his age, three times in the first round of the three-round contest before the Japanese fighter’s trainer rushed in to stop the fight.

The American boxer at first appeared not to be taking the fight seriously, grinning at his opponent and aiming only soft punches at him.

But he then demonstrated his power, launching a series of jabs and hooks to the head of the 20-year-old Japanese fighter, sending him to the canvas after just one minute.

Sensing his opponent was struggling, Mayweather stepped in for the kill, unleashing a flurry of punches that left Nasukawa reeling again within just two minutes of the bout and facing his second standing count.

With the Japanese fighter clearly struggling to stay on his feet, the trainer rushed in and stopped the fight with just one minute of the first round remaining.

The 41-year-old Mayweather carried more than 4kg weight advantage into the ring.

The rules were very strictly defined: three, three minute bouts and boxing only — kickboxer Nasukawa was reportedly facing a $5 million fine if he aimed a kick at Mayweather.

There were no judges, with only a knockout or technical knockout considered a victory in the bout, promoted as a pure exhibition match.

Crucially, the match did not feature on the record of either man, allowing them both to retain a cherished unbeaten record.

“It was all about entertainment. We had fun. The fans in Japan, they wanted this to happen, so I said why not. Once again, I’m still retired, I’m still 50-0, Tenshin is a great champion,” Mayweather said in the ring following his win.

The 41-year-old American had earlier intimated on Instagram that he would be paid $9 million for the fight, which was scheduled for three rounds.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Anthony Joshua knocks out Povetkin to retain world heavyweight titles

Published

on

By

Nigerian-born Anthony Joshua retained his International Boxing Federation (IBF), World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organisation (WBO) heavyweight titles, with a seventh-round stoppage of Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium in London on Saturday. (more…)

Continue Reading

Boxing

Mayweather confirms he’s coming out of retirement to fight Pacquiao this year

Published

on

By

Floyd Mayweather has announced he will return to fight Manny Pacquiao this year. (more…)

Continue Reading

VOTE

PREMIER LEAGUE

Advertisement

Like Us on Facebook

News

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com