Connect with us


Benzema snub is unfair – Pires



Former France international Robert Pires feels Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema is being treated unfairly by national team coach Didier Deschamps.

Benzema was barred from France’s squad for Euro 2016 after being charged over his involvement in an alleged plot to blackmail international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena.

French Football Federation (FFF) president Noel Le Graet has since stressed that the attacker is available for selection again, but Deschamps has yet to recall the Madrid ace.

Pires, however, believes there is no reason for the coach to continue ignoring Benzema, who he is sure still has plenty to offer.

“I think Benzema is being treated unfairly, but Deschamps is the boss and we must respect him,” Pires told Marca.

“If I were the coach I would call him up, because he is class.

“I think Deschamps wants to teach Benzema a lesson while still qualifying for the World Cup.

“But I think Benzema can help us a lot in the next World Cup.”

Benzema is currently recovering from a hip injury that saw him miss Madrid’s 3-0 win over Leganes at the weekend.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pogba jokes around in Manchester United training after ban



Paul Pogba enjoyed Manchester United training despite confirmation of his three-game suspension. (more…)

Continue Reading


29 injured as French stadium barrier collapses



Twenty-nine fans were hurt, five of them seriously, when a barrier collapsed Saturday at a stadium in the northern French city of Amiens as away supporters celebrated their opening goal.

A fence separating Lille fans from the pitch gave way as they surged forward to celebrate the goal against Amiens, a regional rival that has just been promoted to the top flight in French football.

Several tumbled about 1.5 metres (five feet) and were crushed by other fans who fell on top of them. Injuries included head, chest and abdominal trauma, medical authorities said.

Referee Thomas Leonard suspended the match in the 16th minute as Red Cross and emergency workers rushed to help the injured. The fixture was later abandoned.

“It happened all of a sudden. I don’t even know who scored. It just suddenly fell on me. I couldn’t hear anything, I couldn’t see anything and then the emergency workers took me away,” said Georges Penel, a 21-year-old Lille fan who suffered injuries to his leg and back.

The prefecture of the Somme department gave a provisional toll of 29 hurt, five of them seriously. Among the injured were three minors, all in their teens, medical authorities said.

The incident happened when Lille’s Fode Ballo-Toure ran towards the section of visiting fans after scoring the opening goal, prompting a surge that caused the barrier to give way.

Built in 1999, the Stade de la Licorne (“Stadium of the Unicorn”) is the smallest of the 20 French Ligue 1 clubs, with a capacity of only 12,000.

Renovation work is taking place throughout the 2017-18 season, as newly-promoted Amiens brings the ground up to a higher standard.

– ‘Hardcore fans’ –

The venue boasts an eye-catching, futuristic design with a transparent roof, which is being renovated. The seats are also being progressively replaced under the 7.5-million-euro ($8.9-million) scheme.

Amiens public prosecutor Alexandre de Bosschere said an investigation had been opened into “accidental injury”, focusing on why the barrier gave way.

“We have put legal seals on the site (to bar access to it), and an assessment will be carried out in the next few days.”
The club’s president Bernard Joannin dismissed any idea that there were problems with the barrier.

“The police had warned us that there were 200 hardcore fans, really wound up, who were in the section set aside for Lille fans. They surged forward, chaotically, more than 500 people, against this barrier, which was in perfect condition.”

Back in May, local politician Alain Gest had suggested that upkeep of the stadium had been neglected by previous local administrations but was now “perfectly in line with regulations” and “up to standards for playing in Ligue 1”.


Continue Reading


Hugo Lloris surpasses Fabien Barthez to make history



The Spurs shot-stopper has moved ahead of the former Manchester United netminder with his appearance in Les Bleus’ friendly against Paraguay (more…)

Continue Reading



%d bloggers like this: